Everyone appreciates the beauty of a brick chimney. It takes quite a craftsman to carefully place each brick ensuring top-quality visual appeal, all while constructing such a tall and heavy structure that functions well and stands strong. That said, after years and years of use, most brick chimneys will start to show signs of deterioration.
So what do you do when your brick chimney is no longer standing tall and proud, and instead resembling something more like the Roman Colosseum – or worse, the Leaning Tower of Pisa?
What Chimney Masonry Repair Services Do We Offer?
We have some incredibly skilled technicians that can help get your old brick chimney back to looking as good as new by performing one or more of the following services:
- Patching & Repointing: Also known as tuckpointing, this technique is often used when there are minor cracks or localized damage in the brick or mortar joints. The process of repointing involves carefully removing the damaged sections of mortar and replacing it with fresh mortar – of course, making sure to be precise in matching the size and appearance of the existing mortar and brick.
- Brick Replacement: In cases where individual bricks have been severely damaged, or even missing, a chimney technician will install new brick pieces, all while ensuring proper alignment and compatibility with the existing brickwork of your chimney.
- Spalling Brick Repair: When the surface of the bricks begin to chip or flake due to the frequent freezing and thawing that occurs during winter, what we call brick spalling occurs. To repair spalled bricks, we chisel away any damaged brick, fill the hole with mortar, and carefully place new brick and line it up with the existing brick.
- Chimney Crown Repair: The chimney crown serves an important role in protecting the top of your chimney from harsh weather. Similar to how freezing and thawing causes brick spalling, this can also cause your chimney crown to crack and deteriorate over time. Depending on the severity of the damage, we may be able to make repairs, but we may have to completely replace it.
- Masonry Waterproofing: Did you know you could apply a waterproof sealant to the exterior of your chimney to better help protect the bricks and mortar from moisture and prevent future damage? This service is highly recommended in areas that experience heavy rainfall or harsh weather conditions.
As you can see, it can be hard for us to recommend repair services without first inspecting the damage in person. That is why we recommend you contact Highpoint Chimney Services to schedule an overview. That way we’ll know how to best address all of your masonry repair concerns.
Can I Repair Chimney Bricks Myself? Or Should I Hire a Professional?
You might be thinking brick and mortar replacement doesn’t sound too hard. In fact, you might even be searching for tutorials as we speak! Although our quick description of the process of repairing brick chimneys doesn’t sound too labor intensive for a typical homeowner, we still recommend you hire a professional for this job. Here are a few reasons why:
- Expertise & Experience: Repairing brick chimneys requires specific skills in masonry work. You must be able to assess the extent of the damage, choose the right materials, and apply the appropriate repair techniques – something our trained techs know how to do.
- Safety Considerations: Working on a brick chimney requires working at heights and dealing with heavy materials. Doing this yourself without the proper safety equipment and tools is not only risky, but extremely dangerous. Highpoint Chimney Services is also fully licensed and insured so you know you and your property are protected in case any accidents happen during the repair.
- Long-Term Results: If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you find out how much it costs to repair the work done by an amateur! Making sure the repairs are done properly will lead to more durable and long-lasting results down the line.
- Structural Integrity & Compliance: You never want to attempt repairs that could further compromise the structural integrity of your chimney or the safety of your home. Only a professional can ensure compliance with local building codes and regulations.
How Can I Maintain My Chimney After Repairing the Bricks?
The best thing you can do to help prolong the lifespan of your brick chimney is to schedule annual inspections and cleanings. As the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends, yearly sweepings and overviews will help identify issues early on, as well as allow us to address them promptly, so you won’t encounter more problems later on.
We’re Here to Serve You Soon
Highpoint Chimney Services has over 20 years of experience in the industry and takes great pride in offering a wide range of quality services. But what’s even more important than our services is how we treat our customers – we want you to feel like you can count on us for all of your chimney and fireplace needs.
So, give us a call today at 908-864-4114 or schedule an appointment online today. We can’t wait to hear from you!